September 22, 2011

Rules of three

I was thinking about where to start in my journey of learning bushcraft skills. I am a logical person, and prefer a certain logical order and progression when I learn new things. For me, using the rules of three is a logical progression for studying and skill building.

Many have heard about the rules of three when it comes to survival. The rules of three are simple and easy to remember. There are other additions some have made to the list, but for my purposes these three priorities will suffice. On average, you can live:
  1. 3 hours without shelter
  2. 3 days without water
  3. 3 weeks without food
As you can see from the list above, shelter comes before water and food, so I would want to learn sheltering skills first, then move on to the next and so on. By working on a few sheltering skills first (setting up a tarp, building a fire, etc), I hope to be comfortable enough with them and then move on to the next set, water. And of course, food would follow water. Being comfortable with a small portion of the skills from each priority, I am setting a foundation for further study and building skills in the future.

The rules of three are further important because they give you priorities in setting up, maintaining, and tearing down camp, as well as how you pack your gear in a bag. The best part of the rules of three is it doesn't weigh anything to carry the knowledge of them.

1 comment:

  1. But Bear Gryll's can survive without shelter for more than 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete