October 11, 2011

Day hike with Gunguy22 of Coloradobushcrafter.com

Got a message while back from Gunguy22 via bushcraftusa.com forums. He's the author of Coloradobushcrafter.com. He had read one of my messages, and saw that we were from the same town in Colorado. We decided to try to get together for a bushcraft day. Our schedules allowed a day hike, which is what we did.

First off, since this a was a day hike, I didn't need to take all my gear. I took my Skilcraft Hydramax (another military issue) which is a much smaller pack with some storage pockets, water bladder, and some PALS webbing.

My gear load-out looked like this:
  • Mora Knife w/ferrorod
  • Flash light (just in case)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Fire Kit
  • Poncho
  • 50' paracord
  • Leatherman Wave
  • My new Coghlan's Sierra Saw (will review later)
  • Field stripped MRE (That's it attached to the PALS webbing in the picture)
  • Water
  • My camping hat
  • Glock 23 (not pictured)

We met and headed up to Pike National Forest around 0800. Gunguy22 had a lean-to he frequents, so we drove up to a parking spot, and hiked the rest of the way in.

For some activities, we commenced an attempt at a buck saw. I had a design in mind, and Gunguy22 had the knife skills. FYI, green aspen is very flexible, and does not make the best frame. Also, we used a wedge shape for the cross brace, but soon found out that a wedge, while easier to carve out, is not the best shape to use. A simple curve would have been better, but in the end I think we had a usable design, with a little bit more work.


I started carving a spoon from aspen, which is really easy wood to carve when it's green. I just need to cut out the bowl insides, sand it, and oil it down. We also scouted around for some dead standing pine to make a bow drill set. By the time we got back to camp and started carving the parts out, we ran out of time, and had to pack up to leave.

It was a great day out, and it just seemed to go by too fast. I look forward to further adventures with Gunguy22.



1 comment:

  1. I had a great time yesterday! We'll have to do it again soon and get some pictures of you too. You're right good days always go by too fast.

    Colorado Bushcrafter

    ReplyDelete